Introduction to Intimacy in the Acting Classroom
A primer on current industry standards for Intimacy and recommended best practices for the acting classroom.
Since Intimacy has come into the larger awareness of the acting industry, I have seen coach after coach feeling stuck, questioning, struggling and feeling lost in their field of expertise because they're not certain where the vital exploration of character and intimacy choreography meet. They're not sure how to navigate material in the evolving nuances of Best Practices.
My approach has helped people to overcome those feelings and re-gain their clarity about where acting work and Intimacy Choreography intersect. This clarity supports both them and their actors/students to dive deeply into the scene content.
I want to share these tools with you, so that your methods and your studio can gain that clarity,
and continue to foster the growth and development of your actors!
This course is for you if:
- You're an acting coach or teacher wants to learn or get a refresher on current standards for Intimacy
- You're not sure what falls into the category of "Intimacy" -- it seems like everything is Intimacy -- and you might even be feeling a bit stuck with what to do next.
- You have favourite scenes that you want to keep working with, but aren't sure how to do work these scenes without venturing into the "grey area" or into blocking that would need an Intimacy Director or Coordinator.
- You want your Acting Studio or educational space to reflect professional expectations for approaching intimacy
- You want your studio or classroom to be in alignment with current best practices
- You know that Intimacy, vulnerability and bravery are essential elements of scene study, but you don't have any training in choreographing intimacy.
Why do I need this course?
You love fostering the growth of actors, through scenes that help them to explore their breadth of expression. That said, you know that trepidation around intimacy choreography can hold people back from truly engaging in the emotional content of the scene.
So, you need a solution that allows your students to deeply engage in scene study, without the complexity of navigating choreography of touch or intimacy.
You need tools that clarify the parameters and expectations around Intimacy and open up even more brave and daring character exploration.
You know that there's an accessible way to integrate the current industry standards of Intimacy, and this is it!
Get started now!
In this course you will learn:
- foundation concepts of Intimacy in Performance and the job of the Intimacy Professional
- what's considered "Intimacy" in the performance workspace
- suggestions for integrating intimacy principles into your studio or classroom that are in alignment the current industry standards and that your students can apply to the work environment
- common pitfalls when acting coaches choreograph intimacy in the studio or classroom
- options for scene selection in the classroom, with respect to navigating Intimacy content
- tips for collaborating with an Intimacy Professional in the studio or classroom
By the end of this course you will gain a more comprehensive understanding of Intimacy in performance, with specific practices that can be integrated into the acting studio without an Intimacy Professional, leading to a learning environment that is in alignment with current Best Practices in the performance workplace, preparing the performer for their next gig!
Brought to you by Siobhan Richardson, a pioneer voice in Intimacy in for stage and screen, an "industry legend" (Intermission Magazine) whose work has been seen on some of Canada's largest theatres. As an educator, she has helped bring intimacy principles to programs and professionals across Canada, Europe and the United States.
This course is an on-demand version of one that I have taught live. Here's what people have had to say about the live "Intimacy In The Classroom" workshop:
"This course takes the fear and mystery out of issues of intimacy in the classroom" - Bruce Dow
"Her insights opened up new perspectives and constructively reinforced holding of a safe space in coaching and teaching practices by offering practical techniques." - Elizabeth Saunders
"No matter one's level of experience, one needs to be open to learning and new things. This is a vital and (unfortunately) necessary course." -Lewis Baumander
"I'm confident that [this course] will have an immediate effect on the way I coach, and a positive impact on the actors I train. I left ... feeling empowered and inspired ... A definite game-changer." - Salvatore Antonio
"Siobhan is a gracious, deeply knowledgeable guide through a complicated and utterly important subject." - Jani Lauzon
Frequently Asked Questions
Get started now!
Siobhan Richardson is an internationally-recognized Fight Director, an Intimacy Director (a pioneer voice in this specialty across Canada), an award-winning actor/fighter/singer/dancer and an "industry legend" (Intermission Magazine). Her teaching career has spanned Canada, USA and Europe. She’s been both a student and a teacher online for over a decade.
Siobhan’s work as a Fight Director and Intimacy Director has been seen on some of Canada’s premiere stages, as well as around the world through online performance and education. She was recently awarded an Arts Response Initiative Project Grant to create online Stage Combat study, and would like to acknowledge funding support from the Ontario Arts Council, an agency of the Government of Ontario.
Passionately curious, Siobhan continues to pursue her own training, and is continually experimenting, drawing from arts and science for the betterment of our performances, rehearsal practices and the spaces we work in. She Practices that foster joyful workspaces for vulnerable and creative work has been a particular focus of the last several years.